Stakeholder engagement • Communications and strategic planning • Web and print design and copywriting
A lifelong communicator, I specialize in creating and managing community-building campaigns through engaging visual and editorial content. While I have enjoyed creatively supporting small businesses and government agencies, my passion is nonprofit and environmental communications and I have spent the last eight years as a manager for the ocean conservation nonprofit SeaWeb. I am interested in building stakeholder engagement and community for an organization making a better world.
Marida Hines Consulting, Gaithersburg MD
- Plan, design, and manage editorial and graphical outreach for SeaWeb’s stakeholder engagement and communications programs.
- Liaise with trade media for earned media placements and write blog posts, email blasts, profiles, and press releases to tell the organization’s story and engage its community.
- Coordinating with partners, planned, developed and deployed messaging, branding, web, email and social outreach for recent launch of the Seafood Co-Lab stakeholder engagement competition that resulted in nearly 1,000 votes in the first week
SeaWeb Senior Program Manager
The Ocean Foundation, Washington DC
- Planned campaigns and created websites, graphics, editorial and marketing copy, email newsletters and blasts, media releases and other outreach to promote SeaWeb’s four major programs.
- As Manager of SeaWeb’s Seafood Champion Awards, increased program’s online mentions by 140% and nominations by 130% in one year through rebranding, a revamped awards event, and focused promotion.
Senior Manager, Content Development and Online Initiatives
SeaWeb, Silver Spring MD
- Planned communications campaigns and supervised Science Editor and Visual Initiatives Manager in creating user-oriented stories and graphics for web, email, and social channels.
- Raised SeaWeb’s e-newsletter average click percentage by 42% and decreased unsubscribes by over 80% in one year through user-centered design and content.
- Created media blitzes on key ocean issues using concurrent email blasts, slideshows, video interviews, e-newsletters, and social media that typically raised web traffic more than 28%.
SeaWeb, Silver Spring MD
- Maintained SeaWeb’s 10 flat-file websites and managed complex migration to three streamlined WordPress websites.
- Designed, copyedited, coded and tracked 15 weekly and monthly e-newsletters and approximately 12 email fundraising Asks per year.
- Provided graphic design, video capture and editing, photographic and technical support to program managers in four SeaWeb offices worldwide.
Owner and Art Director
Dog Days Communications, Washington Grove MD
- Designed and implemented branding and marketing strategies for government, engineering, nonprofit, trade association, and small business clients including the National Institutes of Health, the Combined Federal Campaign, CBS Outdoors, Dynamac Corporation, District of Columbia Public Schools, and others
- Created custom content including designing logos, staging photoshoots, writing site copy, and writing and designing matching print brochures and annual reports
Executive Director of Content Management
Phillips Health, Inc., Potomac MD
- Worked with design, IT, and marketing teams to launch new websites for eight physician franchises
- Coordinated with editors, designers, and marketers to improve the user experience and build sales through improved website navigation, functionality, content, and presentation
- Wrote the organization’s first Web Style Guide and created the organization’s first content management protocols including file preparation, naming, and archiving conventions
- Newsletter editor for Computer Sciences Corporation, onsite at NASA Eastern Regional Remote Sensing Applications Center
- Freelance travel writer
- Children’s book illustrator
- Bachelor of Arts University of Maryland (Art History/Studio Art)
- University of Maryland University College, Montgomery College—Multiple credit classes in communications, journalism, writing, digital media, web development, PHP programming
- Town Councilor, Town of Washington Grove Maryland (2007–2010)
- Adjunct Professor, Montgomery College Germantown Maryland—Digital Art & Illustration, Digital Photography (2009–2011) and Drawing Instructor, Town of Washington Grove Maryland (2009)
- Pro-bono web developer for the Episcopal Church of the Ascension, the Town of Washington Grove, NanceMusic.com, KidneyForGail.com, and others
- Author, The Complete Great Falls Climbing Guide (2001) and publisher, Climb Maryland! (2002)