Communications expert with a passion for making information compelling and accessible. Extensive experience creating and digitally publishing content for print and web. Highly creative, with the ability to take initiatives from brainstorming to reality. Team player who enjoys working with diverse stakeholders. Internationally oriented with more than 13 years lived overseas.
Senior Manager, Content Development and Online Initiatives
SeaWeb, Silver Spring, Maryland April 2012 - present
SeaWeb is an ocean conservation nonprofit dedicated to creating change through strategic communications campaigns, leveraging key stakeholders, and providing decision makers with the latest ocean science.
- Routinely advise SeaWeb directors on complex technical, budget, and organizational issues.
- Supervise and guide two staff members (Visual Media Initiatives Manager and Senior Researcher) and provide editorial and creative support to fundraising and communications managers.
- Initiated and developed SeaWeb's first organizational metrics tracking tool and expanded newsletter and web analytics to include A/B testing, subscriber behavior tagging, and events.
- Reduced cost of SeaWeb's first iPhone app from original estimate of $28,000 to a final price of $3,200 by moving design in-house and soliciting bids creatively.
- Created and managed a series of highly successful media blitzes to raise the profile of key ocean issues through concurrent email blasts, slideshows, video interviews, e-newsletters, and social media.
- Created and managed print, web, and on-site resources for several conferences including coral reef symposium which resulted in more than 2000 media articles and roughly 6.4 million media impressions worldwide.
SeaWeb, Silver Spring, Maryland November 2010 - April 2012
- Maintained and enhanced SeaWeb’s 10 websites, formatted and tracked 15 associated scientific and current events e-newsletters, and provided coding, graphics, video, photographic and technical support.
- Created branding for, designed, and developed websites, emails, print materials and signage for SeaWeb's signature annual conference on sustainability.
- Simplified workflow and saved money by successfully performing a complex migration of 27,000+ records from two external email services and a custom in-house database into one universal online contacts database.
- Streamlined and modernized SeaWeb's online capabilities by migrating the organization's websites from a $3000/year dedicated server to a $800/year Virtual Private Server on a Wordpress-friendly host.
- Helped oversee budget and expenditures associated with SeaWeb’s websites and managed domain registration and purchasing-related issues.
Dog Days Communications, Washington Grove Maryland April 2001 - November 2010
Dog Days Communications was a design studio specializing in creating web and print materials that presented information in clean, intuitive, and engaging formats.
- Exceeded $60+ million fundraising target goal 3 years in a row as Clarion-award-winning marketing designer for the Combined Federal Campaign of the National Capital Area
- Helped DKT International grow 15% annually with new web and print marketing materials
- Routinely managed HTML and Wordpress website creation from requirements analysis through kickoff, design, production, and testing phases.
- Generated content including performing photoshoots, writing site copy, and writing and designing matching print collateral such as brochures and annual reports.
Executive Director of Content Management
Phillips Health, Inc., Potomac Maryland February 2000 - April 2001
Phillips Health, Inc., one of the largest direct-mail publishers in the country, published newsletters for leading alternative health physicians and formulated and marketed related vitamin supplements.
- Worked with design, IT, and marketing teams to launch new websites for eight physician franchises.
- Wrote the organization's first Web Style Guide and created Phillips Publishing's first content scheduling and workflow management procedure.
- Routinely coordinated with a variety of stakeholders including editors, designers, and marketers.
Phillips Health, Inc., Potomac Maryland April 1999 - February 2000
- Researched and wrote timely health articles for DrWhitaker.com website.
- Supervised three fulltime writers and created first schedule and new content workflow.
- Routinely coordinated with web developers, product formulators, writers, and marketers.
Senior Graphic Designer
Phillips Publishing Inc., Potomac Maryland September 1994 - April 1999
- Created print and web designs, illustrations, and graphics for newsletters and their marketing campaigns.
- Drafted Phillips Publishing’s first Style Manual, a guide for company-wide editorial consistency.
- Led the Tech Team, identifying new technologies and helping designers master new applications.
Education & Affiliations
Bachelor of Arts (Art History)
University of Maryland
University of Maryland University College
Non degree seeking Communications/Journalism/Writing
Non degree seeking Digital Media
- PC and Macintosh Operating Systems, Microsoft Office.
- Highly proficient in most common print and web production tools including InDesign, Quark XPress, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.
- Proficient in web development technologies including Wordpress, PHP/SQL, HTML/CSS, jQuery.
- Proficient in video editing applications including FinalCutProX and iMovie; have worked in Flash.
- Proficient in online tools including HootSuite, Balsamiq mockups, Google Drive, Democracy in Action, Constant Contact and others.
Community Service & Personal Interests
- Town Council, Town of Washington Grove, MD.
- Adjunct Professor at Montgomery College—Digital Art and Illustration and Digital Photography.
- Pro bono web design, development, and maintenance.
- Author, The Complete Great Falls Climbing Guide; publisher, Climb Maryland!
- Avid hiker, cross-country skier, scuba diver, traveler, reader and photographer.